FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - hwo to get liscence/permit for venomous in NJ?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #12
hhmoore
I don't know the first thing about getting a venomous permit in NJ, or if there even is one.
As a quick aside - a "class" was mentioned as part of the NYS requirement...that is something of a problem, as, at least the last I knew, there was no class. They do want there to be one, but it has (had?) yet to be established who would teach that class, what would be required to be an instructor, or what would be taught (and by what methods). I doubt that any (NY) state office would support "hands on" training in the classes, simply due to liability; and "book learnin" is of limited value.

To the OP, the regulations and requirements vary from state to state....and local law can be more restrictive than state (local law cannot allow something prohibited by the state, but it can prohibit something allowed by the state) - in addition to learning about your state requirements, you would be well advised to find about about your local laws (county, town/city, village). You may find that you have to give proof of experience with either venomous in general, or with the species you are requesting. Since permits are often animal/species specific, you would have to know what you want before you you pursue a permit. There may well be language that states you agree to random inspections. You may also have to state WHY you want a venomous reptile - and, if a permit is required, "pet" may not be an acceptable response.
I have mixed feelings about some of the suggestions that have been made - I've worked with a wide variety of hots, and, with many species, it is easier to deal with something that has a little size to it (as opposed to a baby). Also, keeping "mildly venomous" or snakes that are slow to strike can easily foster complacency...I sometimes think it is better to have a hot that you know will hurt you, and tries to do so on a regular basis . Rather than make random suggestions, I will suggest that you decide where your interest lies & take it from there - just don't come up with black mamba, forest cobra, or king cobra right off the bat, lol.