FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - any advice or tips for a potential hot keeper
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
hhmoore
I know my thoughts on this matter aren't necessarily the ones most will express, but it doesn't really change just because the topic shifts to hots. Pick your snakes based on what interests you, not on what somebody else suggests.
There's not really much sense in getting a copperhead as a "starter", if your real interest lies with cobras, rattlesnakes, arboreals, whatever. Yes - a copperhead is an easy venomous species to keep, and the bite is not likely to be fatal......but that doesn't help you build experience toward keeping other species.
Unfortunately, there are relatively few nonvenomous snakes that serve as good trainers. The most important thing for you, as one who intends to start working with hots, is to become very aware of what you are doing. There are so many things that we do routinely that can result in a bite, and it is of major importance to break those bad habits. I saw a great post a number of years ago regarding this - I'll try to dig it up and repost it.