FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - any tricks for reversing or helping metabolic bone disease?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
coyote
I know that dealing with this type of thing can be heartbreaking.
How much intervention is too much, how much too little?
Keep fighting or give up?

I'm going to make some comments from off the top of my head.

If you are able to forcefeed a supplemented slurry, it may be unnecessary to force insect feeders on her right now. The stress might be undermining the strength of her immune system and costing her energy she needs to survive. Stress can be detrimental even though a certain amount is unavoidable. How does one find the balance? The slurries are more concentrated in nutrients and moisture, are easier to digest and easier to ingest. You get more bang for the intervention/stress buck.

I might, if it were me, back off emphasis on animal protein and amp up the pureed vegetables with some fruits. They have all those beneficial phytochemicals and antioxidents that I am sure she could benefit from. Also, if she has any kidney compromise--which is highly probable--the animal protein stresses kidney function. The vegetables provide fiber that favors easier elimination and fluid balance. It's always good to keep things moving through.

With the change in the weather, can you get ahold of clean, pesticide/herbicide/fertilizer free dandelions (flowers and leaves)? If so, chop well, freeze to rupture the cells and add them to the puree.

Keep us informed.