FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - A Trade Gone Awry ~ Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
Sasheena
A Trade Gone Awry ~ Need Advice

Hey folks, I'm new to this website in that I've been lurking forever, but I thought this would be the right place to ask my question, seeing as how the BOI is right around the corner, so to speak.

I entered into a deal with a local person. I would supply him with 2.8 Swiss/ICR hybrid mice, and 10.30 pure swiss webster mice. I didn't have them yet, but expected to get them as I'd purchased the starter mice to develop a thriving swiss webster colony. While he was waiting for those mice I gave him a hundred or so frozen feeders, and later whacked another hundrend fifty mice for him, and in return for the live and frozen mice he was to build me a 20-cage mouse rack, including pans.

He brought the rack (it had 5 pans) and received 5.9 Swiss/ICR hybrid mice. Later I dropped off another 3.6 pure swiss mice.

I switched to a rodent-chow that turned all my breeders into cannabals. And I lost the group of baby mice that I was raising up for him. I sent him an email detailing my loss, and told him that I was setting up five breeding colonies, three @ 1.2, and two at 1.1 and that he could have those mice when they were all pregnant, if he wanted, or he could wait and I would provide him with the remainder I owed him later. I did not hear back from him. Those mice got pregnant, had litters, raised their litters, and have even had a second group of mice that have reached maturity. I've emailed this person several times, and phoned him and left messages but have not been able to get in touch with him. Now at this point in time I owe him the mice, as he mostly came through on what he promised... HOWEVER, these mice are consuming food and are not useful for me. I've already got adults from the original breeding groups, and plan on keeping those breeding groups, but I really need to either finish my deal with this individual, or make a new deal with someone else.

I guess my question is, if I can't get any response from this person, am I justified in trying to find someone else to buy these swiss websters? As I have about 7 breeding groups of swissies I expect that I can raise up the necessary for him given enough notice (My snake eggs are hatching and so I'm going to be needing pinkies from the swissies).

anyway, any thoughts on this "deal gone awry" would be appreciated.