FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What causes bites?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #6
Double "D" Reptiles
practice gone awry

We've considered for a couple of years about getting a small number of venomous once we get a more secure facility and are better equipped (both in terms of tools and training) to handle them. To this end, I've practiced HOT methods with a small number of our less predictable snakes during this period. God knows that the last thing I want is an envenomation, especially in our small town where we're already considered odd for keeping snakes and it would be nearly impossible to get cops or medical personnel to come inside where snakes and lizards are housed in case of an emergency.

Well, our best candidate has been the water python at 8'+ in size and a temperment that is unpredictable at best. Anyway, I went to get the water tub out and "was just certain" that she was well out of the way and wouldn't present any problems, so rather than "take the time" to set up the extra tubs (used for feeding and cleaning) and then grab the hook, I just reached in to get the water tub in a stupid shortcut mistake. She was "resting" on the other side of the cage, so "no problems." WRONG!!! I never registered that she'd struck, but everyone else in the room was shocked when I jumped backwards while she launched herseld a good 5+ and more out at me. Everyone was certain that the distance covered when she got hold of my trailing hand was well beyond a distance she should have been able to reach. Didn't matter to her and I was fortunate that all I ended up with as a nice set of puncture holes, torn skin on a tender part of the body and a goodly amount of blood from holes that stung like the devil to clean up afterwards.

Well, that set our timetable back more than I hate to think about for getting any venomous snakes. I had gone 2 1/2 years without a bite from anything other than baby corns and a couple of pernicious spotted pythons up to that point and thought that I was almost ready. Boy was I wrong.

To all of you who successfully keep venomous species without incident, I applaud you and your careful approach to handling. There are so many venomous species which are truly beautiful, especially when kept in naturalistic vivs and there are truly some of these which we'd love to keep. We're just not ready yet as my handful of errors with non-venomous have proven to me in the past. So, 1 year into my self-imposed time-frame (started over again) I continue forward with hopes and aspirations of one day being able to discuss care and handling with all of you as a novice peer and not a curious onlooker.

David

p.s. Almost forgot...prior to that stupid incident I'd done extremely well with the ATBs (both nasty little buggers) and Bloods (one nasty and one gentle.)