FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What causes bites?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
Gregg M
Hey Scott, isnt it amazing what a big fat slug of a snake can do???? It is mind blowing, how many people think gaboons are docile or tame...... They might be on the lazy side but that is their nature and it is also the reason why they a such amazing hunters..... They wait in one spot in the same stance for days on end...... While laying in wait for food they are not very quick to give them selves up by striking at the first thing moving their way...... They will wait until the very last inch and then the lightning fast strike comes..... Hey Scott, if that gaboon wanted you, it would have had you..... You should thank it for not sticking its fangs in you......LOL

Anyway, I had one very close call with a neonate gaboon...... It was just a few hours out of the female and I was relocating babies into their own enclosers..... I hooked the baby and she started to slip off the hook...... I went to grab her tiny little tail and as soon as she saw my hand she struck back on me...... I think the only reason she missed me was because of her lack of striking experiance...... Needless to say I have never attempted to tail a baby gaboon again.....
I would blame that close call on the fact that I was careless......

Carelessness is the main cause of snakebite in a private collection......