FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Black Throat Monitor shedding question
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Chris Wilkinson
Unhappy Black Throat Monitor shedding question

just wondering if I'm over reacting here. just got confirmation he is closer two 6 months@29 1/2 inches long and eating like a big. He is very active and tears up his cage daily.

My question is when he sheds you can see his new scales have a red to orange tinge to them in some areas. I make sure all skin is removed till he get mad and/or bites me sometimes. When my vet looked at his injured tail a (525.00) visit in conjunction with the redness he but him on some anti biotics. I was more worried about an infection getting hold of him.

Does anyone with a Black throat see the same thing when they shed. He seems to be in a constant state of shed. He was 14 inches when I got him three months ago and he has more then doubled that now and it seems he is heading for another growth spell. I soak him weekly for one hour, his basking area is 120 to 140, ambiant 84.5 cool end 80. I have him in a 75 gal tank with a modified wooden top to keep in the humidity which i keep at 65% to 75%. he also has a mix of forest mulch/lizard earth 8 inches deep. He has access to a water bowl. His enclsure and water are changed daily.