FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Captive born vs. wild caught
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
sschind
I would echo the sentiments of those responding so far and say CBB all the way. I would also add the following as my additional 2 cents.

You say CAPTIVE BORN in both the thread title and your post. Buying a Captive Born BTS may not get you one from a breeder. Many female BTS are imported as gravid WC adults. When these females have their babies many sellers label them as CB and use the term Captive Born which means (to me anyway) that they were BORN in captivity but they were not BRED in captivity. From a health standpoint this may be preferable to a WC but from a conservation standpoint it really has no impact since the original specimen was already taken from the wild.

If you truly want to support the captive breeding of these wonderful animals (my favorite lizards by the way) make sure you are getting a true CBB (captive bred and born) animal from a true breeder and not a CB (captive born) from an importer or reseller. If you go with any of the Australian species (northerns are the most common I think) you should be safe. I would find claims of CBB babies of any of the commonly imported species (Irian jayas and gigas are the two most common) to be highly suspect depending on the source. I would love to get a few true CBB gigas or IJs but I don't trust any of the dealers I see at any of the regular shows I attend and I don't know anyone breeding them personally.