FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - How many of you have the proverbial " HOT SPOT "
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
old guy
sppeavy, I've never had much luck

with trash piles, artificial cover like metal tin roofing ( although I have laid many pieces around my property and have found multi-prairie kings and black rats under ) in Kansas. There is a hill out there in the Flint Hills that use to produce hundreds of collareds upon hunting in a very short time frame by us. It also produced lots of Great Plains Skinks with a good number of milks. It is not only one hill but hills and valleys off of the beaten track. BUT the last time visiting we were warned to stay out and had a gun aiming at us. While I stated that you can't legally shoot someone for trespassing and there was the fact of no not trespassing signs or notices, it was un-nerving to say the least and I have never been back to that spot ! LOL ! I have also found only several horned toads in the Flint Hills close to that semi-famous ghost town of Voland. And without going any farther west for years for horned lizards, this has been my ONLY finds of horned lizards in Kansas.
Have you been out looking for anything lately. I haven't because of my new hours of working and 7 to almost 8 days/nights of rain in which makes those Flint Hills back roads like CLAY pits. I still have standing water on my property and with people coming out to buy some of my advertised reptile stuff, has made my yard around my reptile/barn room a mess ! Note : either there are a lot more hot keepers in Kansas or want to be or having some just in case, I have sold several tongs/clamps and hooks and some of the lockable cages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
I have a few spots that are real nice. One is a abandoned shack with a huge creek right next to it, so Banded water snakes, red-sided garters, ringnecks, brown snakes, black rats, yellow bellies, and skinks are abundant every time I go there. I have found worm snakes and a milk and a emoryi out there also. Another spot down the road is a breeding zone for massasaugas and collard lizards. Serious amounts of collards can be found on any given day. I have counted 72 in one morning out there. this area has also produced 2 horned toads this spring, a rare find this far east. And there is the flint hills.....it tells its own story. You can easily find whatever your looking for out there. Pick a good hill and go nuts. :eatpointe