FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Uromastyx basking spot temps
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
E.Shell
Assuming you have a good IR thermometer and your temperature measurements are accurate, the basking spot should definitely be warmer, and that warm area large enough for both animals..

I have two Moroccans and keep the basking area at about 130oF. The rest of the enclosure should also be warm, and I have the coolest hide spot at about 85oF. I saw a noticeable improvement in activity and appetite when I brought my basking temperatures up from where you have yours.

I think that the fact that they return to the basking area every 10-15 minutes shows us they are getting cool when they are away. What are temperatures across the rest of the enclosure? Do you have areas that drop below about 80-85oF? Uros are desert dwellers that live in extreme heat and bask on very hot rocks in direct sun. Just because they get a little too cool when away doesn't mean they have to get into the very hottest part of your basking area to recover. Do you have them in a glass (high temperature loss) enclosure?

It could be that the basking light is too close/intense and the hot-spot is too hot while still not bringing the platform temp up where it needs to be. That would explain why they don't get directly under the heat lamp. Is the area under the light large enough for both lizards? You may do better with two smaller heat lamps than one big one which might provide more overall heat without having an intolerably hot beam.

My breeder gave me very good advice, have you spoken with yours?