FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The odds gods, statistics, and patience with hets.
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
nickolasanastasiou
It gives me peace of mind to always have one half of the parentage be a homozygous/visual animal. That way, as long as retention of sperm from another male is not a concern (zero chance in this case due to the history of exposure), I can say with absolute confidence what the genetics of the offspring are even if the results regarding morphs/visuals are abysmally poor. When I produce hets by myself for myself, I know I might have to keep waiting for the possibility of better results down the road and, if a customer would ever buy a het I made under the same strict parentage, any "not proving out" types of results would be due to a problem regarding the genetics of the mate, a problem of impatience (sample size), or some sort of scheme. I explain that the bet customers make is the same bet I make regarding the future of my projects since I tend to sell off the previous generation after I feel secure enough with my numbers in the next generation if a project involves refinement over generations (such as with my hypo cherryheads). Visual -> het -> visual -> repeat until satisfied and then cease the process. For the project this thread is about (ivory sulcatas), I have been satisfied for years now with the quality and so the only thing I have been working on is turning holdbacks into additional breeders until a particular target has been reached for the number of adults involved in the colony/project.

2018 ivory and 2018 het shown before I sent them to my main colony that resides in TX back in April of this year.
Attached Images