FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Question about burmation
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Is this your first brumation phase? How old is your dragon?
There are some people who completely turn off the lights, letting the dragon sleep in the dark.
Others will keep the lights on, possibly lowering the wattage of the basking, etc, & shorten the length of days from 12 hours to 7-8 daylight hours, letting the dragon get less light. Then, if he does happen to come out, he will have a bit of basking time if he chooses. Many dragons do come in & out of brumation.
During brumation no supplementation, or very very little should be used due to their metabolism being slown down & them not sitting under their UVB's very much.
Personally, I do not feel they should be fed much during this time, unless they come out & stay out for a couple of days, then, you can feed some greens or veggies, or maybe a couple of worms. Just something that is easy to digest in a relatively short amount of time, in case they go back to sleep soon thereafter.

I hope this helps. I do not feel there are any "set" ways to brumate them. Every dragon is slightly different so allowances must be made for their differences.

Tracie