FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Boa Contrictor at 4-6 ft??? WTH
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdocksReptiles View Post
No expert but Ive heard from experts that the main growth period for a boa is from 12months to 24months. And if under fed during that period they cant be stunted in growth.

Example of this I recently saw an ad for a 2008 male Argentine and upon inquiring the snake was only 6lb roughly 6ft. Where as I have a 2009 Argentine of same gender at 12 lb and roughly 7ft and hes not over fed..

I think it does vary a good amount between some species I know central americans tend to stay a lot smaller as well. But I really think the size your boa ends up is all based on how you feed it. Dont take that to mean you should starve your boa to make him stay small, but just dont offer him/her meals that make him/her bulge up and stretch feedings a little longer. And it would be more likely to stay in the 6ft range.
Interesting, I didnt know this. But it could make sense since the one BCI I have is tiny compared with his litter mates. He always regurged every meal when young unless it was a tiny mouse. As time went by he would eat bigger mice but never held down anything at big as a small rat. After he was a year and a half or so, he started to eat regularly and now eats rats with gusto and hasn't had any regurge episodes in a very long time.