FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - nile monitor questions
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #37
MauricesExoticPets
This is Claudia, about as pissed as she ever gets, its all about drama with her.

Your niles are both very pretty, ok handsome for the boy and pretty for the female.

If you get to see them go through the whole mating process, its pretty cool. The males do this quick side to side shaking thing with their head that is for lack of a better term just wild.

If you do breed the pair feed them about 10 to 12% over their daily caloric need for a month prior and continue with feeding the female that way till she produces her second clutch.

I tend to feed FT (fish, rodents, birds, crayfish), live insects, and under 10% of their diet is a mixture of turkey necks chicken leg quarters and heart/gizzard stuff cut into manageable sizes. I rarely do the ground turkey thing, on occasion if something we produce critter wise is particularly mean and bites or is otherwise defective it usually becomes nile food.

All in all if you plan to breed them feed them a bit more than you would to maintain a particular weight or rate of growth and increase humidity, I like to offer them food in several meals over each day giving the added impression that food is plentiful.

I can't say the males are overly aggressive in the mating process, but I have witnessed Claudia pull Sapphire out of a hide she chose to lay her eggs inside. She bit his tail and pulled him away from the nest. He wasn't real keen on that and of course I put him on no girl restrictions for some 9 months.

Maurice Pudlo