FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Corucia zebrata alfredschmidti
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Sherri - LCRC
Corucia zebrata alfredschmidti

If anyone is interested in the scientific study that Brian & I accomplished on this subject, we have posted on Fauna Classifieds in the newly created Scientific Journal section of this website. Once you get there & click it on, scroll to the top of the page. As far as I know, it is the most comprehensive work ever done on the description of Corucia zebrata zebrata -vs- Corucia zebrata alfredschmidti.

This, of course, came up with some pictures that Kisha posted on a pair of 3 year old twins that she adopted. I stated that I was 95% sure she had these two little gems on her hands but to Kisha... hate to ask you this, but, if you can post one more close-up profile pic of the head I can tell you for sure. Alfredschmidti are larger, have a distinct black sclera, almost always have an aqua - turquoise colored head, a bright yellow color around the ear openings, a brilliant yellow under &/or around the chin & a very prominent nose scale that seems to be completely unique to alfreds. They are, I think, the most strikingly beautiful of Corucia though they are ALL beautiful in their own way.

Alfredschmidti's also seem to be more difficult to pair up due to temperament & a more aggressive nature. They are also more difficult to breed for whatever reason. I think environment almost has to be precise. Out of the 7 adults I have had for 3+ years, we've only managed to produce one baby. &, what a baby she is! Tiki weighed in at birth a whopping 172 grams November 17th of last year. (Coruia zebrata zebrata averages about 50-70 grams normally at birth)

We'll get into more of this later for those interested.

Sherri