FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adeno Thoughts
Thread: Adeno Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #85
jenkznza
Quote:
Jenkznza, I consider a large breeder someone that has experienced adeno and all the other bad stuff beardies can get. That person not putting the money first but genuinely cares about them. What I have seen here is breeders yelling they are sick and tired of hearing about testing and adeno. They say it's nothing but they don't have experience. As a business person myself, I see the reason for this post. That is so sad.
I’m sorry, but I’d have to disagree your conceptions here. You are not talking about large or experienced breeders you want to hear from breeders that agree with you. Qualified breeders are speaking out in this thread. Tammy has had experience with Adenovirus and she is speaking out. Other experienced breeders have spoken out in other threads just to be beaten up by inexperienced individuals who know better. Your not listening, because the breeders aren’t agreeing with you.

I think Dr. Jacobson put it correctly in this letter Cheri Smith posted.

Quote:
A major problem is that despite our attempts to educate people who call us about this and other health issues of reptiles, those people lacking a medical background have a very real problem understanding what we are saying or may use what we discussed out of context. At times bits and pieces of things are heard and then weaved into something entirely different than what was originally stated.
For example you state:

Quote:
Draggintails, thank you for reminding me to read it. I did and on page 9 of the report 4.1 What we know, it states adenovirus is associated with disease in bearded dragon. Many infected animals are asymptomatic. I knew this because I have two now but many is not all and doesn't mean husbandry is the reason.
Now lets look at the next section of this document.

Quote:
4.2 What We Suspect.

4.2.1 Disease caused by Adenovirus is affected by other cofactors, such as immune status, husbandry, and other sources of stress.
Nobody likes to hear that they may have done something to compound an already negative situation, but you must at least be open to the possibility.

I have talked with several experienced beeders concerning Adenovirus. The resounding answer has been to look at contributing factors. If you maintain animals with healthy immune systems in the proper environment the chances of Adenovirus becoming a problem are greatly diminished.

Dr. Jacobson's report states:

Quote:
This is a poorly studied topic and there are many gaps in our understanding that have been filled with rumor and misinformation.
The "yelling" has been directed at one individual who has been promoting improper care and a self serving mind set. The breeders in this thread have spoken out against this very thing.