FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - PRO EXOTICS burning!
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
Wolfy-hound
I don't have a sprinkler system in my reptile room and I don't know anyone who does. In most of the commercial buildings that rent space, I haven't seen sprinkler systems installed. I asked a couple people who said that if the sprinkler system malfunctions, it can ruin the entire business(depending on what the business is, of course, but most were offices) so the building management can be held liable for all damages. Another reason many commercial rental units don't come with sprinkler systems.

It's soooo easy to use perfect 20/20 hindsight and say "Oh, well, should have had sprinklers" or "should have split the collection up" or whatever. I wonder how many of the people pointing fingers at ProExotics's "mistakes" have their own sprinkler systems in?

Hindsight is always going to be 20/20. I'm certain that everyone at ProExotics is already beating themselves up over the whole situation, whether it could have been prevented or stopped or what. It's easy to be the armchair quarterback and declare what "you" would do or think they should have done. Just remember that you aren't the one having to identify each one of thousands of snakes, some that you've owned for 20 years. If you were doing that, looking at the ruins of 20 years of passion... do you really think you'd want someone spouting off about how you "should have" done something?

Most of the reptile community have really shown a ton of support to ProExotics. Even if someone can't donate, or doesn't feel it's appropriate to donate, the message of "I'm really sorry this happened" helps too. I've been surprised at how the entire community has really risen up to help.