FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Melissa Kaplan
Thread: Melissa Kaplan
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2002, 10:17 AM   #16
Pennebaker
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Melissk @ Sep. 06 2002,20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do I believe that exotics shouldn't be kept as pets? spam_Based on how poorly so many sellers and buyers do when it comes to caring for them properly, and the lack of state and federal regulations that accord herps the same rights (relating to captive care) as furred and feathered animals are, I'd just as soon either not see them in the pet trade. spam_An alternative is to see the prices for all herps elevated to take them far out of the impulse buy, "Look how cheap they are - let's get a couple for the kids" and "I am not going to take your pet to the vet - it's cheaper to let it die and get you a new one that pay a vet" price range. spam_</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Isnt education an other alternative? &nbsp;And the better one? &nbsp;I am suprised that someone who seems so dedicated to educating the public on the captive care of reptiles would be against people sharing their company with them. &nbsp;I believe that the route of education, which Melissa Kaplan does take to a large degree is the better one.
I also believe that perhaps prices should be a little more elevated to avoid the "disposable pet" syndrome. &nbsp;(But, you can adopt cats some places for free)... &nbsp;
But most of all, I dont trust the government to know enough about herps to legislate them, lol!

Isnt education and learning to care for herps the best provocation to conservation? &nbsp;When I see kids that get into keeping herps, it tends to be those kids that are doing research on the internet, thinking about getting science degrees, and tend to be more environmentally minded. &nbsp;I am amazed by some of the families that have bought herps from us. &nbsp;It gives me real hope. &nbsp;And I do think if some of these kids were not given first hand experience, they would not have gotten as passionate as they are. &nbsp;I know sharing the company of reptiles has certainly spurred education, research, and a greater appreciation for myself.

Of course numerous things need change in the industry, although I dont think it is the government's place to do it. &nbsp;But PROPER education is one of them. &nbsp;Not fear tactics and negativity. &nbsp;And I will agree that I do get some of that from Kaplan's website and articles. &nbsp;But once again, I applaud the education efforts. &nbsp;It is important for everyone working with herps to record and study their animals, anyone selling animals to educate their customers. &nbsp;Even if you can get a lizard for $10--once you tell them the cost of set up and maintenence, well, that should scare off anyone not serious about caring for the animal. &nbsp;SO TELL THEM instead of trying to make a quick $10.

But I go through my moments too. &nbsp;If I had had to rescue as many iguanas as Kaplan has, I'd be pretty negative and jaded about people owning them as well. &nbsp;But, there are dumb people everywhere that do this to human babies as well! &nbsp;A ban is just not the answer.

And back on subject more, there is so much misinformation out there on herps, that Kaplan's site was probably chosen just because it so well known. &nbsp;Everything you read on herps should be cross checked, double checked and rechecked. &nbsp;Read every darn book and care sheet possible. &nbsp;Talk to as many people with first hand experience as you can. &nbsp;And then observe observe observe! &nbsp;The internet has helped greatly in this area. &nbsp;I have hopes that things will just get better and better. &nbsp;We've come a long way from when I had an iguana as a kid!!! &nbsp;Let's keep improving and learning instead of abolishing what can be a very positive thing.

My 2 cents.
Dana