FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Raising Crickets
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
You could start baby beardies on roach nymphs, but the problem with that is separating the nymphs in adequate numbers.
So far I haven't found any easy method to do this at all.

If I were to go back to raising dragons, I'd maintain the adults on roaches, but I'd probably go back to purchasing week old crix for the babies.
When I used to raise beardeds, I fed the hatchlings 12-18 crickets per day each, split up over 3 feedings. With 25 babies or so in a clutch, that translated to around 3-400 crickets per day. I couldn't imagine trying to separate that number of roach nymphs on a daily basis.

I never did figure out the ideal way to raise the crickets in size quickly. It would take me 2 weeks at least to get my crickets up to the size of week olds you buy. By the time I got them that large, the 2 or 3 thousand pinheads I started with would be down to 2 or 3 hundred.
If you took the time and played with it though, I'd say you could figure out the best way to at least get them to that size and be able to raise hatchling dragons on crickets you produce.