FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Giving birth after 6 years from a male...
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #108
Warren_Booth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC Exotics View Post
Warren, I have one frozen baby, the other one, had died early in the day after I had left that day, and when I came in that next evening, the body was pretty bloated, and pretty nasty unfortunately. BUT, I do however have all the "slugs" frozen from when the mother gave birth to them... I havent had a shed from the mother in quite some time, so maybe she will soon. Would we be able to determine anything by using one frozen body, some of the frozen "slugs", and then a shed piece from the mother?? Let me know if there is anything we can do with these combinations to go further with learning more about this scenario. Thank you for all your continued help once again.
Hi,
Sorry for the very late response. The slugs are useless as they are only going to contain the mothers maternal genetic material unless they contain an embryo that died early on in gestation.
I could use the frozen embryo and a partial shed from the mother still. From that we can determine if that offspring was a parthenogen. All you need to do is fedex or ups it to me overnight frozen and with a few cool packs to keep it frozen. I can then sex visually through dissection, extract DNA from the offspring and mother, and determine parentage. Let me know if this interests you. You have my email which is the best way to contact me.

Helen, you can find my publication at my current departmental website -
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/booth

As of August 15th 2012 I will be moving to the University of Tulsa to start a tenure track faculty position and establish my own lab. You will be able to find my new lab website through a simple Google search then, or at the University of Tulsa Biological Sciences website.

Warren