FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adeno Thoughts
Thread: Adeno Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #44
draggintails
I would contact universities in AU and speak to the reptile vets and vet pathologists to get a better idea of what is going on over there .....that is the source and the proper place to start. They are seeing everything some people are seeing here.......so animals brought in , when brought in are infested with pinworms, coccidia and other parasites and are positive for adenovirus when tested. They are losing dragons, eggs,clutches, juvies ..having problems with MBD, bad sheds, really bad problems with pin worms and coccidia in the Sydney area, dragons not recovering after laying, dystocia, eye infections, bloated abdomens on babies, disorientation on babies, babies not absorbing sacs, lack of thrives, etc.....per the breeders who have contacted me for advice and information from the vets I have spoken with on the phone and in written correspondence. I asked if they test for AV...they say they don't know what it is (breeders that contacted me) and how hard it is to get it done and they don't have it anyway (yeah uh huh) ..I have found a place for them now to test when I am contacted again and am giving the lab to the vets I speak with in AU that do not have a contact for EM AV detection.

Funny thing is when they tell me how they care for their dragons (the breedrs looking for help)..it is not good. I was completely shocked..I thought they had a better chance at field study than we do here in the US (ha), wow these people can do a better job simulating their environment than we can. The way they care for their dragons would kill mine. When I corrected the care information I got back arguments on how the main and most knowledgeable breeder in their area (I won't mention his name) has made this the norm for keeping dragons. They have AV and they are breeding the dragons, the dragons in the wild population have AV.

Lou Ann Miller said "we should be looking for Parvo and Dependo instead, these are much more nasty viruses that I have seen on a few samples" she said that she has tested 80% positive at this time on all adeno samplings but have seen only a few dependo, calici, and parvo...I wonder what that tells me. UofF only looks for ATA so no information on other virus dragon is harboring can come from the PCR. Now don't go shooting the messenger,not trying to raise nationwide panic with her statement but it is more information to consider. I will talk with Dr. J or Dr. Stacey and see if they think on the same lines and see if we can get a published statement. We had a conference last year in LA on dragon adeno by Dr. Wellahan I bet we could get another at this years conference maybe next years.