FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adeno Thoughts
Thread: Adeno Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #45
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscaulkins
Adeno positive dragons are not worthless, they just should not be bred. Why spread a disease when it could be stopped.

Just out of curiosity do you know the different things adeno affects Beardiepal? Well here is a short list that I HAVE experienced:

It can block their absorption of needed calcium. I have experienced major MBD even though my dragon had the highest quality MVB on the market. The best powdered rep cal calcium on all her feeders. Today, she is maintained on liquid calcium and will be the rest of her life.

Aspergillus, which my vet didn't think he could kill it so I went out on a limb and found something that worked.

Pinworms and coccidia (my male)

Bacterial infections from infected silkworms that didn't appear to be sick but carried bad bacteria. My vet said it only takes one bacteria to infect my male. He had two infections, the other from hornworms.

Comprised immune systems caused by adenovirus. Mine are healthy only because I know what to look for and I do routine fecals myself. Do you really think people want to have to monitor their dragons so closely to keep them healthy. I don't run to the vet with fecals and treat for high coccidia. To much meds actually lowers an immune suppressed dragons immunity to even lower. Mine live in a very clean environment.

I was told once by a big breeder that you have to look outside the box for care for adeno positive dragons. An inexperienced person wouldn't know where to begin. It's not fair to them.
Your issues are blantantly husbandry-related. If you had more dragon experience, you would know this. For example...I've been telling people not to use the stupid MVB's for months. Why? Because of all of the babies that I have sold, the only ones that have ever have problems with MBD symptoms are the ones kept under MVB's. I've sold two babies this past year that left my care in perfect condition. I advised the new owner's on proper dragon husbandry. They ignored me and used a MVB anyway. I even had one person use a MVB AND a UVB tube light. The poor babies started developing MBD symptoms within a few weeks. One was even put down, which I disagreed with, but it was not my decision. He was healthy as a horse, eating, etc..but his poor body was being contorted by the improper calcium absorption. I've kept in contact with the owner's of these baby's siblings, and I have kept several myself. They are all fine...but they are being raised with proper husbandry. Many people push the use of MVB's without any understanding of how these bulbs work, the risks, how to use them, or the dietary and set-up changes that are neccesary if you are going to use them. Nobody stops to consider what too much UVB mixed with too many D3 supplements will do to a dragon. Too MUCH will cause the same symptoms as too LITTLE. But...you would know that if you had more experience. As a breeder, I try to "dumb down" the husbandry as much as possible, make it simple to understand. I wish people would just do what I tell them to do and quit following the advise of people with little to no experience. I guess my point is that things go wrong, and it is rarely because there is something wrong with your dragon. It is because you do the wrong things in caring for your dragon. I hope this makes sense...it's still early here, lol.

Jamie