FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Help, I left my monitor go wild, (need help socializing an older monitor)
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
crossfire79
Thank you for that reply and I found everything you said to be very informative, thx for taking the time to respond. Now that my black rough neck is well into adult hood he seems to be calming down and I am starting to pet him in his cage when he will let me, and stop when he runs away. He is the one I will try to coax with food, because I think he will respond better that way and trust will be earned. But the Argus monitor food frenzy is just too intense for me to want to associate any body parts with his food.

I am having the greatest difficulty with my Argus monitor, who just turned one year old and I have been working with for about 8 months. A couple of months ago I started letting him roam the kitchen and living room on his own terms (becuz he was growing so fast and I was a couple of months away from building him a proper enclosure). He dose really well, every night when he is ready for bed, he actually crawls back into his cage on his own becuz of the underground heatmat. But he is so headstrong, with an unbreakable will power. I can't get him to ever sit still with me holding him. He dosen't tire out, nor gives up. In order to hanlde him I have to either hold him back with two fingers in front of his fore feet, or use my hands and arms as a treadmill.

He is more afraid of my hands then my face of body or feet. Having him free roaming has gotten him used to my presence, and I can even walk up to him and he won't be alarmed. When I go to pick him up I start to pet him, and sometimes I just pet him and not pick him up. But once he is picked up, he wants to go. I am gong to watch more of those youtube videos of that Austrialin guy with lace monitors, and will attempt to follow your advice, by stopping forcing him to let me hold him, and spend more time doing activities that just builds trust with him. But if anyone has anymore advice I will gladly accept it.