FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Light Green Urate & Foul Smell
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
I agree with Robert that you should use a permethrin spray to treat the snake's environment for mites. Snake mites can also travel tens of feet fairly quickly, so keep on eye on your other snakes; their enclosures may need to be treated as well.

I also agree that the probe goes outside the enclosure whenever possible. Many of us tape the probe to the heat element; this works very well for me. Not all probes play well with moisture, either, even if they purport to be waterproof; Herpstat probes were recently upgraded to deal with moisture better (I had one of the old ones fail in a humid viv).

It is good that you're taking the snake to the vet. I'm not convinced that the mass in the picture is regurgitated food. It looks like what in my snakes I've assumed to be something-less-than-fully digested rodent; stress might explain why the snake's digestion is off (they're not so unlike humans, really). The smell is suspicious, though, so Robert may be right. I don't know what to make of the green urates, though. There is all sort of speculation on various herp forums about green urates, none of it based on any evidence so far as I found in a quick search. A good vet will be able to give you an accurate assessment.