FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The wild, wild, west!
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
WebSlave
Well it proved to be too much work, not enough pay, made me the target of untold numbers of hate emails and PMs, and in the end proved to be detrimental to the BOI in general by not allowing people's TRUE personality show through.

I caught an incredible amount of antagonism and abuse from people who felt they had a RIGHT to post derogatory and abusive messages on this site. I have been belittled and maligned for requiring paid members only to have the ability to post on the BOI in order to filter out most (if not all) of the false registrations that plagued it before and after, in an effort to make it more credible. And quite frankly the pittance I received did help pay for some of the effort I had to expend in order to do the cleanup, if not in the amount, but the gestures made by the people paying the fee. I saw plain and obvious signs that traffic was declining because of people just flat out refusing to pay the minimum $10 in order to help fund the effort required to do what I felt was needed to be done. When I noted the number of people declining to renew their paid memberships, it was a clear signal to me, that the value of the BOI to them, as I was trying to make it in my cleanup efforts, was not quite the price I had set.

I can't say you are all getting what you want here, but you ARE getting what your (in a broad general sense, no one in particular) actions have indicated you asked for. Yes, I am not happy with the way the BOI has become at all, and I know it could be "better". But from the results of the required paid memberships and the flak I caught because of it, the effort needed to reach that goal is not worth the pain it would take (on my part, for free) to get there.

I have learned my lesson, and I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever to repeat that attempt again.

Again, this is not directed at any one person. This is the result of a balance sheet of factors covering every aspect of this site and the conclusions I had to come to based on those factors.