FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Reputable Ferret Breeders?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
kerit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison View Post
Raw is best, but it is disgusting and I have no interest in kissing/holding my 2 ferrets after they just got done ripping apart raw bloody meat. Yuck.
It's unfortunate you feel that way. I've fed raw for a few years now, and I've found it to be no messier than kibble, and not that much more time consuming, either. Ferrets are built to handle that diet, and with basic sanitation protocol -- the same that anyone should be following in their own kitchen -- the health risks are no different from having kibble around. Why you're okay with kibble-breath kisses, I dunno Obviously you're comfortable feeding whole prey to snakes, which I don't view as any "ickier." And the benefits from the raw diet are so numerous, I seriously feel guilty serving any animal kibble anymore.

My ferrets are not Marshall, but came from a breeder that still neutered them and sent them out early (I don't have the details; they were adopted). They're both roaning out to DEWs, and one is showing signs of what I suspect will become adrenal disease down the road. Genetics seems to play a bigger role in longevity than diet, but since so many of our ferrets come from tiny, over-fished gene pools, I figure the raw diet gives them the very best chance they have to beat the odds.

At least we can agree that Marshall's food (and their "health guarantee") is garbage.