FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #68
hotlips
Be sure you read the labels on baby food too...I recommend Gerbers as it's the best ingredients I've found, though I haven't read every baby food label in the world.
Gerbers 2nd Foods, "chicken & chicken gravy" to be exact, contains only ground chicken, water & cornstarch. When I needed to tube-feed a small snake for a while & didn't want the open jar of baby food to go bad, I dropped spoonfuls onto a metal cookie sheet & made "ice cubes" out of the leftover so I could thaw & use it as needed. It's good stuff, well tolerated by snakes, & no sugar or HFC. I keep a jar on hand, & any leftover is also happily consumed by my dogs. (I once rescued a bearded dragon using baby food too, only I used fruit & veggie-versions.) If you ever have a dehydrated reptile, Pedialyte comes in handy too...it will add essential electrolytes.

You should be able to order reptile vitamins online: Rep-Cal "Herptivite is what I use currently & their info. warns against Vit A toxicity & uses only beta carotene, etc.

If this is your first time to tube-feed a snake, I can offer more pointers. If done gently, you'll be more stressed than the snake...

Your chickens are probably safe, & I don't know what could survive their pellet food, I just know that chickens naturally eat all sorts of things (bugs etc) when outdoors. I am
also not an expert on worms, but from what I've come across, lung worms could cause symptoms (mucus, irritation & damage) without actually seeing them, until they are really bad, or until forced out with medication that kills them. It's just a suggestion to run by your vet, who I'm sure would know more about that. Many animals can get them, & if you ever watch the series "Monsters inside me" you'll learn more about such parasites & the weird symptoms they cause. (gross & fascinating at the same time)