FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - considering a caiman...
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Mike Gay
CAIMEN=FUN CRITTER

Hey Jamie, while we haven't had dwarf caimen, our experience with gators, specs and a nile suggests that a 55 would house a dwarf for almost 2 years.
That would be pushing it, but alot depends on how much you feed it. A hatchling nile can grow almost an inch a week if kept at 85 degrees and fed every day. If you do venture into this, only get one, because the only company they need is their food. M&M's (mice & minnows) are the perfect foods. Offer them from forceps or long tweezers for a more personal experience. Many croc keepers don't like fish tanks for enclosures, however for the first timers and in the first couple years, the visual info you get is carried thru for the life of your ward.
Three inches of water over an inch of gravel with a basking light over a land area---super simple set up especialy if you're familiar with under-gravel filters and submersable heaters. Place in a quite area of the room and avoid sudden movements in the first few days and you'll me amazed at how fast he'll acclimate to his new surroundings. Keep it simple to make cleaning easy and you'll have a blast. I have not owned a dwarf camen, however I don't believe their care is any different than a spectacled.
Good luck and by the way, you can get minnows from any bait shop and keep them alive in a styro cooler.