FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Is this unfair to the snake?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantharenee View Post
.... Planned traveling aside, life happens and I will doubtless be moving around a fair bit for the next 5-6 years. Ball pythons are small enough they’re not restricted anywhere I know of (though they could give a landlord pause) and not local anywhere in the US so you don’t need special permits for them. Any long term moves abroad that are likely would allow me to move it with me (not huge, not endangered, not on any restricted lists that I’ve been able to find), ....

What do you think?
Restrictions on pets are most likely to be at the city/town and landlord levels. Some towns are so uptight that all constricting snakes are prohibited. Including a 12 inch corn snake. Do your research. By the way, landlords are more likely to approve "aquarium pets" than snakes.

Have you looked at the CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) list? All members of the family Pythonidae (including ball pythons) are on Appendix II. https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php. That does not mean taking a pet python to another country is impossible, but it is far from a matter of putting the snake in a bag and boarding a plane. Airlines also have rules about transporting animals. Anyway, CITES is what makes me advise against getting a ball python at this time.

Good luck.