FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Alabama State wildlife agent targets black market for turtles on Internet
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
You're exactly right Dennis. EVERY classified site featuring exotic animal sales is monitored by the authorities at some level. Sites like this one and k.com are monitored daily I have no doubt.
I even see ads that I am almost sure are placed there by the wildlife guys. I've seen one wanted ad last year on k.com from a guy in NC looking for red pygmy rattlers. Being protected in this state, it was either a trap, or a moron asking to get busted.

If you try to sell protected or otherwise illegal animals publicly on the internet, it's just a matter of time. A F&W agent will contact you to set up a buy.
I also believe that regardless of the "know your laws" clause some sellers use, if they ship an animal to a state where they are not legal they would likely be held legally responsible for that as well.

Despite whay they think, it is our business if they are selling illegal species or shipping illegally. Their actions affect us. The black market dealing with illegal herps makes us all look bad. Even we as just breeders are cast in a darker light due to the activity of the few that trade in illegal species.
As far as I'm concerned, if someone approached me wanting to sell me sometihng I know was illegal, I would have no problem working with the authorities to bust the guy. To me it's merely preserving something I enjoy, that he is endangering by his greedy actions.
There's a lot of things I wish I could keep, but the fact is I can't legally, and I have too much at risk to attempt it.