FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Advice needed: Spiny-Tailed Monitor
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Jim O
FWIW, my adult ackies love superworms. They also get crickets and some roaches (they will be moving ore and more to roaches as I my colonies mature). I give them each a large fuzzy/small hopper about every ten days and scrambled eggs and ground turkey about once a week each. I cook the eggs in a bowl scrambled with the shell in the microwave with no extra grease. The ground turkey I buy a pound or so at a time and make little meal size"meat balls" and freeze them separately so they are ready to go.

For substrate I use mostly coconut fiber with some sand added. It holds moisture well and holds a burrow really well. These guys really like to burrow. I have a couple of pieces cork bark on the bottom of the cage and they love to hide under them. I have some climbing branches near the heat source so they can choose a level where the temp is to their liking. I keep the top around 110°-115°F.

These are really neat little animals Paul. You'll should enjoy this guy or gal. If you can post a picture that will be great, especially of the face/eyes so we can perhaps determine if this is a red or a yellow ackie.