FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Anyone have success breeding Prehensile Tailed Skinks?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #48
seishin
If she was 8 months old in December of '03, and gave birth in December '06, then she was barely over 3 years old when she got pregnant. That is pretty young. Four years old would be better. They don't seem to reach a full adult size until then. (Probably not as much of a concern for the males). 400 grams sounds low as well, but it really depends on her length. The average weight for an adult Czz is 500 grams, and the average newborn is 81 grams, per Sherri and Brian's post in the Scientific Journals Forum. The main thing is if she *looks* thin (which it sounds like she does). (I don't have a gram scale either, 'though I suppose I should get one). With most reptiles, a female won't even get or stay pregnant if she is too thin.

In any case, you should definitely try to bulk her up. Whether or not she is pregnant again, she sounds like she still needs to recover from carrying and delivering twins. I've heard of folks offering avocado to bulk up their PTS. I'd offer her as much high-calorie, high-nutrition food as you can. My skinks' favorite high-calorie food is sweet potato baby food mixed with crushed monkey chow and calcium and multivitamin powders, served over chopped collard greens (yum!) Offer her a variety of stuff: avocado, bananas, mung beans, chopped egg whites. I've even heard these guys like superworms (giant mealworms), 'though I haven't tried that yet. Anything to get her eating.

See my post on the thread on "Sexing Prehensile-Tailed Skinks" (page 4) for a picture of what a "typical" female body shape should look like. Try to get her to that "pear" shaped silhouette -- it'll be healthier for her and her future babies.

-- Celeste