FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bite Me
Thread: Bite Me
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #17
hhmoore
Another thing to bear in mind, is that Bill Haast is a strong advocate of the medical benefits of venom. He attributes venom to his overall good health, so do you really think he is as careful as he could be, lol. Also, at the age of 86, the man was still active in venom procurement - despite disfigured hands (anyone want to guess at how many bites might be attributed to that?) Don't get me wrong - I'm not in favor of public spectacles which feature cavalier handling of venomous reptiles, or grandiose attention to the number of bites received - but the man has made significant contributions, regardless. And he has become something of medical oddity, surviving many of those bites with little more than supportive treatment (perhaps a bit of an oddity in general...lopping off the end of his necrosed finger with garden shears?? It might be time to stop interviewing him, lol)

On that last note - is Bill Haast still alive? That question came up some time ago, but nobody could say one way or the other. (