FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - When One Pet Kills Another - How to Cope?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
aleria
I have to agree with Lucille and Dennis on this one, you can't blame the dog, period. I actually had the same thing happen with my ferret and a bird I had adopted. I thought I had done everything right, bought a good locking bird cage, kept them in separate rooms, etc. But one day while the ferret was out having his free time the bird some how managed to finally break the lock on one of his doors and slip out, the second he hit the floor the ferret's instincts kicked in and he snatched him faster than lightning. There was nothing to be done, the bird did what was natural trying to get out and enjoy freedom and the ferret did what was natural in hunting down it's natural prey.

Yes I felt bad, yes I was angry for a moment that it had happened, but I couldn't blame either one of them. The only thing that could have been done differently was flat out make that entire room entirely inaccessible to the ferret, which I did not do. So maybe, if you do decide to get another bird you are going to have to do the same. Get a proper bird cage for one, one that can't be just pushed open by a dog, and for two, separate the bird in it's own room where the dog has absolutely zero access.