FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Kansas Herping Time!!
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
old guy
Timbers and western hogs

I have found timbers out in the area of either Wight City or Dwight City, It has been many, many years ago and in treed areas of course by creeks. The known dens are in the counties of Franklin and Miami that I know of for sure, North of Manhattan and Topeka they have been documented also with some found out by that big water reservoir. One of my friends many years ago found some stagnant loners out just a little south of Alta Vista.

Hogs are one of those bonus accidents by me on finding as I have found only 3 in all of my years out in the Flinthills. They were all found west of 177 off of McDowell Creek Road.

I'm heading out tomorrow (Sunday ) with my Cowboy friend from Missouri that goes to west Texas with me for some Flint Hills looking. I made him buy the non-resident hunting license. If anyone sees a big ass ford pick-up out around Alma with Missouri tags, yell at us.

On the mass that I have found in this state, I too have found a more brown colored mass around here and north with some having a not so distinct pattern but the ones with this has always been with size. The ones we have found farther west , say around Russell and Wilson, has been the picture perfect in color and pattern but always smaller............

I won't know about next weekend till Thursday as to my work schedule if I have to work or not sppeavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
I have a question for you. I have the worst luck with finding Timber Rattlers. Any ideas of where to go. Most guys I have talked to are pretty rude and unwilling to help out. Thats the one snake I cant find. I would gladly take anyone to any of my herping spots. I have a good Masasauga spot in Wabansee County. I have found 5 in the last year there. The recent one was more brown in color than the others that were more grey. Any ideas on the colors? Plus, have you ever found a hognose in Kansas? We are supposed to have 3 types, but I would be happy to see a dead one at this rate. O in 5 years of herping here. I would like to come down by you next weekend. Are you busy at all. I plan to be west of Emporia, out by Americus and that area. Anyways, any clues. I will except clues, since nobody likes to share spots. Thanks.