FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Inquiry Billy Gangemi, Russian Tortoises, HELP!
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiacourtney View Post
Hi. Please see the attached conversation between myself and Billy Gangemi. Tortoise #1 died this morning, and Tortoise #2 has started to go downhill. I'm going crazy trying to save this second tortoise, but despite meds, hydration, soaking, heat, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and she has now stopped eating as he did. The tortoises were said to be 4 years old, but are 10 and both were underweight, respiratory infection, and full of parasites. According to the (very established) Vet, they were clearly wild caught. If you have advice for me, please share. Also, I would like to know how many of the original batch of Russian Tortoises from the Ukraine are still alive, how many there were, where they are being kept, etc. I am concerned not only for our remaining tortoise, but for the others who were obviously wild caught in the Ukraine then shipped here. Thanks to anyone who can help.

I would be talking to Billy himself, but he blocked me because he was tired of my questions. (see conversation)

-Lydia
Lydia,
I'm not a Vet, but what I can tell you is Ceftazidime is the drug of choice by some of the most recognized Vets in the Tortoise & Turtle world, one I know personally & have both volumes of his books on reptile medicine & surgery is Dr. Doug Mader, in Marathon, FL. at Marathon Veterinary Hospital, 5001 Overseas Hwy. 305-743-7099 24hrs.

They might could help your Vet with your tortoise's issues??

I read the conversation between you & Billy, flagyl & panacur isn't going help the upper respiratory.

He also states he'll refund you in full or replace the tortoises at the next show...

JMHO, I'd take the refund, why would any one want to take on another sick critter....

When dealing with importers, or those who buy and flip from importers, these are the chances you take...

Best of luck to the remaining tortoise....

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles