FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Very Skinny Giant Day Gecko
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
mrawesomeman24
Some kind of appetite addition may help, along with an increase in insects in the diet. I have a young hatchling of this species, but don't have any experience with them as adults, but here is what I would do:

1. Place a small water dish in the enclosure treated with Reptiboost or another similar appetite stimulant (generally available at Petcos, not sure on other shops). This is just to get the hunger going, hopefully to trigger more feeding.

2. Start adding bee pollen or a drop or two of pure honey (no additives) to the Repashy, maybe mixing in a quarter teaspoon of baby food and a quarter teaspoon of a vitamin dust as well. The idea here is to encourage eating. My adult cresteds eat about a teaspoon of mixed diet every two days, so this should be roughly what these guys should be eating, but this is not their WHOLE diet. In essence, I'd go 1/4 tsp dry mix, 1/4 tsp fruit baby food, 1/8 teaspoon vitamin dust, plus water to the normal texture. Bee pollen or honey could work in place of the baby food, but I would still add the dust and use those more sparingly (maybe 1/8 or 1/16 teaspoon)

3. More bugs! Bugs are a big part of day geckos' diets, so maybe introducing more bugs could help. Lately I have had a lot of luck with black soldier fly larvae (BSFL) with my day gecko. He loves them, they are usually sold as "calci-worms" by some companies. I would avoid mealworms or superworms at this stage. Waxworms might also help pack on some weight, but like anything else, don't do them in excess and make sure all insects are dusted with a good multivitamin.

- Note that if this is something parasitic, the above will only help for a time, as you seem to already know. This is just to treat the symptom being seen: weight loss. This is a similar regimen to what I did when I had parasites in some of my tree frogs after purchasing them.

You'll want to have your friend go in to the vet with a nice and fresh stool sample. I hope Sally starts to perk up more and put on some weight! Please keep us updated!