FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - eastern box turtle x-ing
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #18
dragoncjo
box turtles

hey trey are you planning on head starting the young that these turtles produce. If that is your plan that is good. This would definetly increase the odds of box turtle survival. However, if you simply plan on selling all the young and never returning the adults to the wild then this could be bad for the population. Remember box turtles have a very small home range. Once a few adults are taken out of a certain area their is good chance the area will never have box turtles again. Please consider head starting the young and releasing them where you found the adults. Even if you sold half of your offspring and returned the rest that would help the population. Remember a turtle dead on the road is no different then a turtle sitting in a cage, as far as the population is concerned. I am not going to throw stones at you. I personally would not do what you are doing. I am not pushing my values and standards on you, but at least consider you local population of box turtles well being. Thanks for you time.