FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Dom or Co-Dom
Thread: Dom or Co-Dom
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Motley & Stripe are allelic which means they sit on the same locus. When they are heterozygous to each other (one allele of Motley and one allele of Stripe) the phenotype (look) of the snake is altered to look like a combination of the two. With Motley-Stripes the phenotype can look more like Motley, more like Stripe or an equal blend of the two. You can consider Motley & Stripe co-dominant to each other though some are of the opinion that Motley is recessive to Stripe. I do not agree that Motley is recessive to Stripe because you can get tweeners and nearly Stripes which you do not get with homozygous Motleys.

Cinnamon & Black Pastel are not allelic like Motley & Stripe but genotypically (genetically) the same morph but from different lines. At least this is the opinion of both NERD and RDR (and I agree) when I consulted them for BallPythonMorphGallery.com.

Because we do not have gene mapping for reptiles a lot of what we say in reference to reptile genetics is educated guesses based on what we know.