FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - okay suggestions
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
suzuki4life
okay suggestions

I have some larger snakes coming so I will need larger rats....development takes time I know. I am planning to make some larger feeder/community cages for my back shed. Local salvage dealer said he will sell me old bath tubs for $5 per unit. I plan to cut them down to about 8-9" internal height. Heavy wire screen lid(3pc) with doors on either end. Center will be the food trough. I plan to cut the end off where the drain would be and make a metal removable wall to aid in cleaning.

I currently have 3 3-4' boas and one 2 1/2' ball python. I expect 2 6+' boas by summer for breeding this winter.

I have one rack in my basement. Currently 4 tubs (1.2) and one extra tub for the smaller and faster rats. (about 1-2 months old)

My very small colony(rack) went from 12 adults to 65 total in a little over a month so in my mind they are good breeders.

Will my idea work or is there a better way?

I plan to have 3 tub cages and try to seperate males and females. I will also have a freezer by year end to freeze any surplus....seperating my colony will be my last resort if the sanakes can't keep up.