FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Sin
Thread: Sin
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Kendergirl
Would you take the answer that it's subjective and people try to make it objective? So many people like to think they are morally superior because the church says they are (or should be), but when you get down into the dirt and look at how they really live, too many are "Do as I say, not as I do". Few people actually walk the highroad because that's what they naturally prone to do. As with everything else, most people fall into the middle, but there are the extremes of complete lack of morality (psychopaths) and supreme morality (not religious...actual GOOD people because it not a part of them to be otherwise).

Also, nothing wrong with a bit of humor in an otherwise serious topic. Someone please ship me some Blue Bell chocolate...it's the BEST, and sadly not found up North.
If you visit Texas we will polish off an entire half gallon together.

As far as the objective v. subjective, I have wrestled with this one for years.
Murder for instance.
I think there are exceptions to the general rule that one should not be allowed to just go out and kill people. Self defense. Defense of country. Defense of family.

But in general one should not, I think, just be able to go out on Saturday night and blow someone away (this applies Sunday through Friday also).
Do I feel that way because I want myself and my family to be safe, or is there a Rule of the Universe somewhere that says murder is wrong?

How do y'all feel? Are there Universal Rules or is all morality just human convention?