FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Info Ship Your Reptiles Random charge
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 02:03 AM   #6
robyn@Pro Exotics
Hi Matt, you can def inquire with us directly for more detail on this. I am DEF not looking to air it out in public. But the BOI is the BOI, and it doesn't get erased, so I will run through the details.

You shipped a 6 pound package on Sept 19th, and booked it as 12x9x6, our very common "#2" size. But the actual package shipped was the "#4" size, at 15x15x8.

FedEx charges by actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is greater. They scan every package with a 17 laser system to get the actual size.

A 12x9x6 package dims at 9lbs. A 15x15x8 package dims at 13lbs, which is quite a bit larger, and is $23 more expensive. There is no admin fee or penalty in the charge, it is just the actual difference between the package you booked and the one you shipped.

Dimensional weight is covered on our site in a variety of spots, and you agree to any adjustment charges when you check off on TOS during the booking process.

We have a few different FAQs addressing dim weights, adjustments, and "why did you charge my card after", but this is a good one with detail- https://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/...ng#question-33

That link includes the simple FedEx formula for calculating the dim weight of any package. HxWxL/139

We have to chase down $1000+ in adjustments a week. It is my LEAST favorite part of the job. But that is over $50k a year that would be lost to underbooking. We waive any adjustment under $2, and that alone costs us over $10k a year. Still, charging folks adjustments bums me out, but it is necessary.

Often a breeder books a package, prints the label, and then during the packing process finds that the box is not quite big enough, so they bump to the next size, or in this case, two sizes up. No worries, it happens. But that larger box costs more. You don't HAVE TO rebook the label, especially if you are short on time, just expect, as we cover on the site, for an adjustment to roll through once the FedEx billing cycle goes, which can be 1-3 weeks.

Again, there is no penalty or fee in that $23. Just the actual difference between the package you booked and the one you shipped, and it is calculated at your SYR discounted rate.

I'm sorry for the confusion and hassle. I have a screenshot of the adjustment detail from SYR admin, but you can also see the FedEx package size scan of 15x15x8 in the lower right hand corner of your tracking screen from FedEx.com. Contact me by email if you want that image, I don't want to post it publicly.

It isn't malicious, or a "gotcha" extra charge, just an actual package cost. And, as it turns out, it is a good opportunity to fill other folks in on dimensional weights, how to calculate them, and why they are important : )

100% we appreciate your business and support. We bust our butts to provide a great service and we work hard to be the industry leader in reptile shipping!