FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Charles Greyhosky/Hellfire Reptiles
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 01:01 AM   #9
HellFire
First off all.....Chris (and everyone else that has contributed to this thread) thank you for taking the time to say a few nice words about your dealings with me and (Chris) the animals you recently received from Chuck. Your efforts are much appreciated and is the reason I treat others the way I'd like to be treated (which is something I really always try to do when it comes to this hobby).

Now, down to the issue at hand. This is getting a little rediculous. I've been watching this thread since Sunday. But to be honest, things have been too hectic for me to sit down and reply to it fairly in the last couple days. But since I'm getting emails and phone calls from other friends and customers saying "what's this all about? when are you going to get on there and say something?"...I thought I'd finally add to it.

The "formosa's" that were advertised are not my animals. They belong to my friend Chuck Greyhosky. The only involvement I have with these animals was advertising them for him; doing a friend a favor as friends do. Chuck is a stand up guy that I've known for some time. The quality of his animals and husbandry well exceeds what my standard would be for someone to put them on my table. Anyone that knows me, will tell you, that speaks volumes.

Chuck is not exactly computer (let's say) enthusiastic. He's also unfortunately on vacation right now. But I will bring this to his attention when he returns. I am NOT an elapid guy. I'm a viper guy. So I'm not about to get into an argument about an issue I'm not educated or experienced in. I admire them, sure. But I do not research them, study them or breed them. I couldn't tell you the difference between N. atra and N. kaouthia by casually observing them. They're not my bag. I am highly skilled at picking out albino monocleds though. For those that haven't picked up that little trick yet, it takes years to hone and master that feat of genius.

Now that I've told you what I don't know, let me tell you what I do know:

While talking to friends about this clutch, friends that are mutual aquaintences or friends of your's Chad told me of when you were selling your "formosas." They don't mention that they weren't atra, or that they were aberrant kaouthia. They only mention that they were FORMOSAS. These are the same animals that you mention selling a few years ago. So obviously, no matter what these are, the common name has stuck to describe the appearance, not the species.

One more thing that I do know, and keep in mind that I really know very little about these "Formosas" as far as nomenclature, IF, (GIANT FREAK'N IF) I or anyone else had what you describe as "aberrant kaouthia," and advertised them that way, someone would most definitely be bitching that the seller was trying to pass off what are really commonly known as "formosas," as something they're not. Think about that as well. That's not to say these aren't atra. As Chris has stated, they're not my animals. I simply don't know. Others feel that they do.

I've also seen your thread on KS warning (or educating, whichever you prefer) others about these "Formosas." Chad, whether you like it or not, the name is going to continue to describe the appearance, whether they're atra or kaouthia. That's what common names do, and these are the problems they inherit. The meaning of the name has been lost. Instead of locality, it now symbolizes the appearance.

You know, I've also heard great things about you Chad. And it was before I called one of our mutual friends asking "why is this guy breaking my a$$!?" And although I'm not an elapid enthusiast, I am intense about the species I AM enthusiastic about....that I keep, study, reasearch and breed....just like you. I understand your concern for what you feel to be "setting the record straight." Unfortunately, my name just happened to get tagged to the issue. That's fine in a forum of species discussion. But in this forum, it's about good guys and bad guys. I prefer to keep up what I've worked for - being a good guy. My concerns are, whether you realize it or not, you trying to set the record straight has put a view in the eyes of those I know (and don't know), as something that's destructive to me and what I've worked for.

I think highly of you Chad, mostly out of your dedication to your animals, and things I've heard from others. So why pi$$ on Chris's parade, even if that wasn't your intention? I know you stated that you thought folks were getting confused. But I doubt Chris or others were. And I'm not so sure that's what the issue is here of your concern. I think he knew exactly what he was getting and was damn excited about it. From reading his posts in this thread, I'd say he still is. Take care,

Joe Yakelis