FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Venomoids?
Thread: Venomoids?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #7
EMERALDGUY33
Good point, Ben. Obviously, no living creature was meant to be kept as "pets". However, non-venomous snakes are being kept in large nmbers. Though you may get bit, you will live regardless. Given, larger constrictors can kill under extreme circumstances. Yet proper education, handling techniques, and husbandry can greatly reduce that risk. Regarding "hots", the risk for death from bite is very high. That is one of the reasons they are not available to the general population at large. Even the best of herpetologists have been bitten and died from venomous reptile bites. I should have clarified my statement though. Venomous reptiles should not be kept as ordinary household pets. The ramifications from even one mishap can be potentially very tragic. I feel only very trained and capable herpers should keep and care for these beautiful creatures. In fact, I am very passionate about venomous snakes. However, I do not feel they should be kept anyone who feels like having one. A great deal of common sense needs to be employed. That was one he!! of a point, Ben. One I had not thought of as of the time I posted last. Thanks. Hope I was able to clarify further.