FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ok...ATB not feeding
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
ravensgait
WC are are a whole different story. How long have you had them??

I've dealt with a few WC ATBs over the years here is how I set mine up.

I use tubs(60+ or 90+ quart with one perch down the middle) in a rack with heat at one end. Hot end is low to mid 80s the cool end is low to mid 70s. The nice thing about a rack is they are covered on most sides and the top so the feel more secure.

Some with eat mice or rats right off others have to have them scented to get them to eat and there were some animals I've fed birds,frogs and lizards, hamsters and soft fur rats too so that I can build them up before forcing the issue.. I wouldn't leave the mice in there that long I'd put one in and if they haven't eaten it by morning take it out and try again in say a week.. If they don't eat it, it is just stressing them out having it in there.

I have a room for import quaranteen that is rather small and I only go in to feed and check on them once or twice a day. The less they are bothered the better and the quicker they adjust. Some have taken months before they would eat but when they decided to they ate from then on.

One thing about WC is that often they are very stressed and stress brings on other problems like parasite load.. The more stress the more parasites they will have, the problem with that is it can be the cause of them not eating which just makes things worse..

If your animals seem in pretty good weight and health then just try to wait them out. If they are thin a check for parasites is a good idea and then treating for what they have .. Hope this helps some...Randy