FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Any experience with the Arcadia DHP?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
bcr229
I use two DHP's with my adult male carpet python, though with the house at a warmer ambient temp for the summer I only have one turned on. He's in a 125-gal fish tank that no longer holds water. I made two plexiglass tops for it.

The top of the DHP where the bulb screws into the fixture is the hottest part, 116*F according to my trusty temp gun. The bottom of the housing is 106-108*F.

The top of the plexi is about 4" under the bottom of the housing and is a toasty 130*F. About 8" under that is the top of a "jungle gym" made of driftwood, which temps at 81-84*F. My carpet python really likes to perch there. He's under his hide now because he's in shed so he's not feeling social.

Plexiglass doesn't block IR radiation like glass or other plastics can so the DHP works well with it. I don't know how well it would work with the Vision enclosures; IIRC there's a metal mesh at the bottom of the insert that would likely block more than half of the radiation from the DHP, so that metal piece would get quite toasty.

I do have a few Vision enclosures and I really like using heat tape with them. The bottom is thin enough that the heat transmits right through to create a hot spot.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images