FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Black rat snake hatchling story
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
773Shaggy
Black rat snake hatchling story

Long story, somewhat shortened:
In July, we were host to a nice looking Eastern Black Rat snake (Pantherophis alleghaniensis). To our surprise, a few days later, she laid a clutch of ten eggs in her temporary quarters. We feed and released her, since she's obviously doing something right
We set up a sketch incubator (moist moss in a box in a closet, checked frequently) and to our surprise again, all ten pipped when the time time came. I set up temporary quarters for the lot of them. After some evaluations, I released two, then two more. The most feisty ones were released, figure they would stand a best chance. A few more are on-deck to be released soon. There's a couple more I'm evaluating for pet potential, with at least three strong prospects. So far, all have shed and eaten at least one pinky, most have had two feedings. That makes me feel good - that nature can survive even me not having experience in this realm. It's been very educational for the kids too.
I am guessing at care standards here, since I can't find a really good Black Rat care sheet. I plan on an enclosure with lots of climbing room, since you're likely to find black rats in the trees. I'll use undertank heat, at least in the starter tank. I also plan on providing light in the day with some UV (i.e. Reptisun 5.0) since black rats are diurnal, most of the time. I'd like to eventually have a bioactive substrate, but that's a bigger project for when s/he makes it to adult status.
Just thought I'd share with you all!