FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Infertile Eggs -.-
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
WebSlave
Seems to me that when I was breeding indigos while I lived in Maryland, giving the female a heating pad with a timer made all the difference. She needs to get heated up during the daylight cycle, and ambient air temperature just wasn't enough from what I saw. I was getting 100% fertility after I started doing that. Indigos are not your typical colubrid when it comes to breeding. Not at all.

Breed them in the Fall (Connie called them the "football season" breeders). Give the female some way to warm herself up so that the embryos will develop properly. Direct heat contact through the abdomen appeared to be pretty important. Otherwise you just get slugs because the embryos just don't develop properly without enough heat. Had nothing to do with fertility at all.

Actually from what I have seen, it really didn't make any difference with temps the male was kept at, as long as you didn't go overboard with the temps. Bear in mind the males were out sunning themselves whenever they could out in the wild, and those big black snakes will get pretty warm in the sun.

Eggs were laid in April to May, and hatched out late in July for me. Somewhere I have a pic of a clutch of baby indigos in my hands that hatched out on my birthday (July 21).

Anyway, that is what worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck next time.