FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Evan Stahl - Sent Me Sick Pine Snakes
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 AM   #20
gila7150
Threads like this one make me wonder why anyone would bother to share their experience. This OP just posted a review of his experience and said he was dissatisfied with his purchase. He didn’t request a refund or make any demands of the seller in his post.
He's immediately confronted by a couple posters questioning his husbandry and declaring that if the snake has parasites it is due to his poor husbandry, improper quarantine, etc. That is followed up with statements that he should have got a necropsy and he should have taken the animal to the vet immediately.
The cost of the necropsy and the cost of a vet visit including an exam, fecal flotation, fecal direct smear test and meds would have far exceeded the cost of these snakes. Since the OP was also told that he should have fasted the snakes for weeks he probably would need to pay for a cloacal wash as well in order to get stool for a diagnosis. I’ve read enough threads on this site over the last 15 years to know that if the OP had decided to do this he would be told that he made the decision to incur these costs and the seller is only responsible for the cost of the snakes.
I don’t think that the OP or the seller presented enough evidence to prove fault but I think the most likely scenario is that the snakes had a protozoan infection prior to the sale but may not have been symptomatic yet. The stress of shipping and a change in environment probably weakened the animal’s immune system and caused the baby snakes to decline quickly. This would explain why the seller may not have been aware of any illness and the OP has not noticed illness with any of the other animals that he owns that were not in contact with these snakes.
I hope the other snake pulls through for you.