FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Albino Ball Python Died!!
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
WebSlave
This is interesting in it's own right.

How many people provide water for their animals over a show weekend? I found that my hatchling corn snakes were showing signs of distress in two days being without water. And I provided water on the way to the show and then on the way back home. I would keep water dishes in the deli cups for the trip to the show, remove them on Saturday morning, then replace them at breakdown on Sunday evening.

After seeing signs of minor dehydration distress in them by late Sunday afternoon, I now keep water dishes in the deli cups with the animals until they are sold at the show.

Let's look at the time frame we have to deal with. We begin packing up for the Daytona Beach show on Wednesday and finish up late on Thursday. Friday we are driving to the show for setup. The show runs thru Saturday and Sunday, and we leave immediately after the show to come on back home. We are only 4.5 hours from Daytona Beach, but even so, if we did not provide drinking water for the baby snakes, the first ones packed up would be without water from Wednesday until, at the earliest, late Sunday night. More likely it would be early Monday before we would get around to putting them up and offering them a drink. So that could be as long as 5 days without a drink in a worst case scenario.

What is this time frame like for someone coming from a much longer distance? Can 5+ days without water cause this sort of problem for a baby ball python?

And I guess what this thread is heading towards: If such is the case, is the seller negligent in selling an animal subjected to this stress and are they liable for the lethal results?